[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Ironic] Roadmap towards heterogenous hardware support

Tomas Sedovic tsedovic at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 11:23:38 UTC 2014

My apologies for firing this off and then hiding under the FOSDEM rock.

In light of the points raised by Devananda and Robert, I no longer think
fiddling with the scheduler is the way to go.

Note this was never intended to break/confuse all TripleO users -- I
considered it a cleaner equivalent to entering incorrect HW specs (i.e.
instead of doing that you would switch to this other filter in nova.conf).

Regardless, I stand corrected on the distinction between heterogeneous
hardware all the way and having a flavour per service definition. That
was a very good point to raise.

I'm fine with both approaches.

So yeah, let's work towards having a single Node Profile (flavor)
associated with each Deployment Role (pages 12 & 13 of the latest
mockups[1]), optionally starting with requiring all the Node Profiles to
be equal.

Once that's working fine, we can look into the harder case of having
multiple Node Profiles within a Deployment Role.

Is everyone comfortable with that?

Tomas

[1]:
http://people.redhat.com/~jcoufal/openstack/tripleo/2014-01-27_tripleo-ui-icehouse.pdf