[openstack-dev] [cinder] The future of the integrated release

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 16:05:29 UTC 2014

On 7 August 2014 16:39, John Griffith <john.griffith at solidfire.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Eric Harney <eharney at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 08/07/2014 09:55 AM, John Griffith wrote:
>> > There are three things that have just crushed productivity and
>> > motivation
>> > in Cinder this release (IMO):
>> > 1. Overwhelming number of drivers (tactical contributions)
>> > 2. Overwhelming amount of churn, literally hundreds of little changes to
>> > modify docstrings, comments etc but no real improvements to code

>> I'm not sure that there is much data to support that this has been a
>> problem to the point of impacting productivity.  Even if some patches
>> make changes that aren't too significant, those tend to be quick to
>> review.  Personally, I haven't found this to be a troublesome area, and
>> it's been clear that Cinder does need some cleanup/refactoring work in
>> some areas.

> Ok...
> s/There are three things that have just crushed productivity and
> motivation/There are three things that have just crushed MY productivity and
> motivation/g

For the record, I feel the same way as John... Cinder has become a
great big, complex API wrapper for other products... it is a direction
that I think means we aren't developing anything new or nevel within
cinder, we're making it harder to even think about doing that, and
what we have is becoming flakier and flakier.

>> Just going on my gut feeling, I'd argue that we too often have patchsets
>> that are too large and should be split into a series of smaller commits,
>> and that concerns me more, because these are both harder to review and
>> harder to catch bugs in.
>
> I totally agree with you on this, no argument at all.  The never ending
> stream of six additions, typo fixes and new hacking adds however is a
> different category for me.

I started the code cleanup tag to help reduce the impact of these, we
can hopefully punt them to a couple of one week periods per release.
Have to see how that works out over time.

>> I'd add:
>> 4. Quite a few people have put time into working on third-party driver
>> CI, presumably at the expense of the other usual efforts.  This is fine,
>> and a good thing, but it surely impacted the amount of attention given
>> to other efforts with our small team.

> I do think this has certainly had a significant impact on some folks for
> sure.  But I've already ranted about that and won't do it again here :)

I'm one of the people who's been pushing hard on CI, to the point I'm
sure that some people are really fed up with my emails, but I do feel
that if we can get it done and working then the future benefits are
substantial. And all of the people complaining that openstack /
devstack is too flaky to get CI working I think are realising a
problem that really needs to be fixed. If we can't stand up a simple
system to run basic tests on, we have clear problems.