[openstack-dev] [cinder] The future of the integrated release

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu Aug 7 15:39:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Eric Harney <eharney at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2014 09:55 AM, John Griffith wrote:
> > ​Seems everybody that's been around a while has noticed "issues" this
> > release and have talked about it, thanks Thierry for putting it together
> so
> > well and kicking off the ML thread here.
> >
> > I'd agree with everything that you stated, I've also floated the idea
> this
> > past week with a few members of the Core Cinder team to have an "every
> > other" release for new drivers submissions in Cinder (I'm expecting this
> > be a HUGELY popular proposal [note sarcastic tone]).
> >
> > There are three things that have just crushed productivity and motivation
> > in Cinder this release (IMO):
> > 1. Overwhelming number of drivers (tactical contributions)
> > 2. Overwhelming amount of churn, literally hundreds of little changes to
> > modify docstrings, comments etc but no real improvements to code
>
> I'm not sure that there is much data to support that this has been a
> problem to the point of impacting productivity.  Even if some patches
> make changes that aren't too significant, those tend to be quick to
> review.  Personally, I haven't found this to be a troublesome area, and
> it's been clear that Cinder does need some cleanup/refactoring work in
> some areas.

​Ok...
s/There are three things that have just crushed productivity and
motivation/There
are three things that have just crushed MY productivity and motivation/g

better?

> Just going on my gut feeling, I'd argue that we too often have patchsets
> that are too large and should be split into a series of smaller commits,
> and that concerns me more, because these are both harder to review and
> harder to catch bugs in.

​I totally agree with you on this, no argument at all.  The never ending
stream of six additions, typo fixes and new hacking adds however is a
different category for me.
​

> > 3. A new sense of pride in hitting the -1 button on reviews.  A large
> > number of reviews these days seem to be -1 due to punctuation or
> > misspelling in comments and docstrings.  There's also a lot of "my way of
> > writing this method is better because it's *clever*" taking place.
>
> I still don't really have a good sense of how much this happens and what
> the impact is.  But, the basic problem with this argument is that if we
> feel that #2 and #3 are both problems, we are effectively inviting the
> code/documentation to get sloppier and rot over time.  It needs to
> either be cleaned up in review or patched later.

​See my search/replace above, guess it's just me.  I see it quite often, I
could try and gather some numbers but honestly it seems like almost every
other patch I review has a -1 for something along these lines.
​

> (Or if there's a dispute about "need" there, we at least need to be ok
> with letting people who feel that this is worthwhile fix it up.)
>
> I'd add:
> 4. Quite a few people have put time into working on third-party driver
> CI, presumably at the expense of the other usual efforts.  This is fine,
> and a good thing, but it surely impacted the amount of attention given
> to other efforts with our small team.

​I do think this has certainly had a significant impact on some folks for
sure.  But I've already ranted about that and won't do it again here :)​