[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal: remove the server groups feature

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Apr 28 17:10:31 UTC 2014

On 04/28/2014 06:58 AM, Steve Gordon wrote:
> [...]

One logical extension that came up previously is a max group size, maybe
expressed as a quota or something.

>> 1. There's no need to have any "server group" object any more.
>> Servers have a set of tags (key/value pairs in v2/v3 API) that may
>> be used to identify a type of server. The activity of launching an
>> instance would now have options for the user to indicate their
>> affinity preference, which removes the cognitive dissonance that
>> happens due to the user needing to know what a server group is (a
>> policy, not a group).

> Would the user's affinity preference stay with the instance for
> consideration in future operations post-boot (either now or in a
> future extension of this functionality)?

Whichever way it's implemented, we need to preserve the boot time
scheduler constraints so that any time we reschedule (migration,
evacuation, resize, etc.) the constraints will be re-evaluated.

Chris