[openstack-dev] [Heat] looking to add support for server groups to heat...any comments?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Apr 25 17:50:08 UTC 2014

On 04/25/2014 11:01 AM, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 04/25/2014 12:36:00 PM:
>
>  > On 25/04/14 12:23, Chris Friesen wrote:

> More important is Zane's following question.
>
>  > > The "Server" class would be extended with an optional "server_group"
>  > > property.  If it is set then the group name is added to the
>  > > scheduler_hints when building the server.
>  >
>  > Given that we already expose the scheduler_hints directly, can you talk
>  > about why it would be advantageous to have a separate property as well?
>  > (e.g. syntax would be really finicky?)

I was thinking it'd be more intuitive for the end-user (and more
future-proof if novaclient changes), but maybe I'm wrong.

In the version I have currently it looks something like this:

   cirros_server1:
     type: OS::Nova::Server
     properties:
       name: cirros1
       image: 'cirros'
       flavor: 'm1.tiny'
       server_group: { get_resource: my_heat_group }

In the nova boot command we pass the group uuid like this:

--hint group=e4cf5dea-4831-49a1-867d-e263f2579dd0

If we were to make use of the scheduler hints, how would that look?
Something like this?  (I'm not up to speed on my YAML, so forgive me if
this isn't quite right.)  And how would this look if we wanted to
specify other scheduler hints as well?

   cirros_server1:
     type: OS::Nova::Server
     properties:
       name: cirros1
       image: 'cirros'
       flavor: 'm1.tiny'
       scheduler_hints: {"group": { get_resource: my_heat_group }}

Chris