[openstack-dev] [Heat] looking to add support for server groups to heat...any comments?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 25 17:01:50 UTC 2014

Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 04/25/2014 12:36:00 PM:

> On 25/04/14 12:23, Chris Friesen wrote:
> > The "LaunchConfiguration" and "Instance" classes would be extended
with
> > an optional "ServerGroup" property.  In the "Instance" class if the
> > "ServerGroup" property is set then the group name is added to the
> > scheduler_hints when building the instance.
>
> -1 for making changes to AWS resources. These only exist for portability

> from/to CloudFormation; if people want to use OpenStack-only features
> then they should use the native resource types.

Oh yes, I overlooked that in my enthusiasm.  Good catch.

> In the case of autoscaling, I'd say you probably want to add the
> property to e.g. InstanceGroup rather than to the LaunchConfiguration.
> (I guess this will become somewhat academic in the future, as I believe
> the plan for new native autoscaling resources is to have the launch
> configuration defined as part of the scaling group.)

Two of our current four kinds of group have already dispatched
LaunchConfig to,
well, pick your favorite from
http://www.nytimes.com/1983/10/16/magazine/on-language-dust-heaps-of-history.html
As pointed out above, one of the two LaunchConfig-philes,
AWS::AutoScaling::AutoScalingGroup,
should be left alone.  That leaves OS::Heat::InstanceGroup --- which is,
in the Python, a superclass
of the AWS ASG --- so it would be oddly irregular to add something to
InstanceGroup but not the AWS ASG.
More important is Zane's following question.

> > The "Server" class would be extended with an optional "server_group"
> > property.  If it is set then the group name is added to the
> > scheduler_hints when building the server.
>
> Given that we already expose the scheduler_hints directly, can you talk
> about why it would be advantageous to have a separate property as well?
> (e.g. syntax would be really finicky?)

Mike