[openstack-dev] [heat] computed package names?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Apr 15 22:19:35 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Mike Spreitzer's message of 2014-04-15 14:59:50 -0700:
> Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote on 04/15/2014 05:17:21 PM:
>
> > Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2014-04-15 13:32:30 -0700:
>
> > > Yes, that _kind_ of thing. But I don't see much point in having an
> > > AWS::CloudFormation::Init section that isn't compatible with
> > > CloudFormation's definition of it. We already have some native
> > > in-instance tools (e.g. os-apply-config) that can probably handle this
>
> > > better.
> > >

> > os-apply-config wouldn't really be what you want. It is specifically
> > only intended for translating communication values into configuration.
> > Package installation is not handled.
> >
> > We don't have a native declarative post-boot package installation
> > tool that can be expressed this way. If you must do vanilla images +
> > customization, I think cfn-init is generally fine. This particular case,
> > however, shows a place where they abused the mapping json type pretty
> > badly. I think it would make sense to have a native OS::Heat::Init
> > section that takes the package name as a value or something.
> >
> > > FWIW, in the short term I'm not aware of any issue with installing
> > > mariadb in Fedora 17/18, provided that mysql is not installed first.
> And
> > > in fact they're both EOL anyway, so we should probably migrate all the
>
> > > templates to Fedora 20 and mariadb.
> >
> > +1 for that.
>
> I count 22 templates in heat-templates that are written to support Fedora,
> Ubuntu, and RHEL; is MariaDB available in those?  I do not see it in
> Ubuntu 12.10, for example.

No, MariaDB might be in Ubuntu 14.04.. haven't checked, but mysql is
still the recommended one.

> Those templates support ubuntu 10.  Just 10!  It will probably be easiest
> to add Ubuntu 12 (as in 12.04 LTS) and 14 (as in 14.04 LTS).

Ubuntu 10.04 has just 1 year of support left. Time to start migrating!
:)

> Yes, I can see how OS::Heat::Init makes sense.  But is this just the first
> thing on a long list?  Would it be better to have a static intrinsic that
> is like Python's dict(iterable of iterable)->dictionary function?

Yes I don't know what the python thing you're referring to is.

Yes, it is the first in the list of things we'd change while creating
a native format. Though another option is to just adopt external tools
like puppet/chef/salt to do this. We creates os-*-config in TripleO so
we didn't have to pick a religion and so that we could do "the unix way"
and make tools that only do one thing. However, for template examples,
it might be a little easier to accept one religion, er, tool, in one
template, and another tool in a different template.