[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev][Nova][VMWare] Enable live migration with one nova compute

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 15:07:50 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> I'm not writing off vCenter or its capabilities. I am arguing that the
> bar for modifying a fundamental design decision in Nova -- that of being
> horizontally scalable by having a single nova-compute worker responsible
> for managing a single provider of compute resources -- was WAY too low,
> and that this decision should be revisited in the future (and possibly
> as part of the vmware driver refactoring efforts currently underway by
> the good folks at RH and VMWare).

+1, This is my main concern about having more than one ESX cluster under a single nova-compute agent as well. Currently it works, but it doesn't seem particularly advisable as on face value as such an architecture seems to break a number of the Nova design guidelines around high availability and fault tolerance. To me it seems like such an architecture effectively elevates nova-compute into being part of the control plane where it needs to have high availability (when discussing on IRC yesterday it seemed like this *may* be possible today but more testing is required to shake out any bugs).

Now may well be the right approach *is* to make some changes to these expectations about Nova, but I think it's disingenuous to suggest that what is being suggested here isn't a significant re-architecting to resolve issues resulting from earlier hacks that allowed this functionality to work in the first place. Should be an interesting summit session.

-Steve