[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev][Nova][VMWare] Enable live migration with one nova compute

Jay Lau jay.lau.513 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:39:31 UTC 2014

> On 09/04/14 07:07, Chen CH Ji wrote:
> > we used to have one compute service corresponding to multiple
> > hypervisors (like host and nodes concept )
> > our major issue on our platform is we can't run nova-compute service on
> > the hypervisor and we need to find another place to run the nova-compute
> > in order to talk to
> > hypervisor management API through REST API
>
> It may not be directly relevant to this discussion, but I'm interested
> to know what constraint prevents you running nova-compute on the
> hypervisor.

Actually, VMWare has two drivers, one is ESXDriver and the other is
VCDriver.

When using ESXDrvier, one nova compute can only manage one ESX host, but
ESXDriver do not support some advanced features such as live migration,
resize etc. And this driver has been deprecated.

We are now talking about VCDriver which will talk to vCenter via wsdl API
and the  VCDriver is intend to support all VM operations, but we need some
enhancement to make VCDriver can work well for some advacend features such
as live migration.

> Matt
>
> --
> Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS
> Red Hat Engineering, Virtualisation Team
>
> GPG ID:  D33C3490
> GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490

Jay