[openstack-dev] How to create vmdk for openstack usage

Jason Zhang bearovercloud at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 23:09:47 UTC 2013

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your reply.
?
We tested again and it still does not work, can you give more
information about how the vmdk's were created?
?I.e the tool used to create the debian and trend vmdk's listed here
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide#Glance_Initial_Setup
?
Using qemu-img convert to convert a qcow2 or raw image to vmdk doesn't
seem to work, for example, by using??
qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O vmdk <input-file.qcow2> <output-file.vmdk>
??The command always converts to a vmdk which is of adapter type 'ide'
other than lsilogic.?

We modified the adapter type to lsilogic and uploading it to glance by
using,

glance image-create --name=<name> --disk-format=vmdk
--container-format=bare --is-public=true --property
vmware_adaptertype=lsiLogic --property vmware_disktype=thin --property
vmware_ostype=ubuntu64Guest < output-file.vmdk
or
glance image-create --name=<name> --disk-format=vmdk
--container-format=bare --is-public=true --property
vmware_adaptertype=lsiLogic  --property vmware-disktype="preallocated"
--property vmware_disktype=thin --property vmware_ostype=ubuntu64Guest <
output-file.vmdk

doesn't seem to work. Even after tying the steps
under https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide#Appendix??

It seems the patch to convert into a scsi disk, has not been merged
yet: https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/545089
?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,