[openstack-dev] How to create vmdk for openstack usage

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Thu Sep 12 19:48:11 UTC 2013

Hi Jason,

The best place to look is the official openstack compute documentation that
covers vSphere in Nova:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/vmware.html

In particular, check out the section titled "Images with VMware vSphere"
(pasted below).  As that text suggests, the most likely issue with your
VMDK not booting is that you may have passed the wrong vmware_adaptertype
to glance when creating the image.  Also note the statement indicating that
all VMDK images must be "flat" (i.e., single file), otherwise Glance will
be confused.

Dan

 Images with VMware vSphere

When using either VMware driver, images should be uploaded to the OpenStack
Image Service in the VMDK format. Both thick and thin images are currently
supported and all images must be flat (i.e. contained within 1 file). For
example

To load a thick image with a SCSI adaptor:

$ glance image-create name="ubuntu-thick-scsi" disk_format=vmdk
container_format=bare \
is_public=true --property vmware_adaptertype="lsiLogic" \
--property vmware_disktype="preallocated" \
--property vmware_ostype="ubuntu64Guest" < ubuntuLTS-flat.vmdk

To load a thin image with an IDE adaptor:

$ glance image-create name="unbuntu-thin-ide" disk_format=vmdk
container_format=bare \
is_public=true --property vmware_adaptertype="ide" \
--property vmware_disktype="thin" \
--property vmware_ostype="ubuntu64Guest" < unbuntuLTS-thin-flat.vmdk

The complete list of supported vmware disk properties is documented in the
Image Management section. It's critical that the adaptertype is correct; In
fact, the image will not boot with the incorrect adaptertype. If you have
the meta-data VMDK file the the ddb.adapterType property specifies the
adaptertype. The default adaptertype is "lsilogic" which is SCSI.

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Jason Zhang <bearovercloud at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Dears,
>
> In the document https://wiki.openstack.org/**
> wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide>
> under the 'Get an initial VMDK to work with',
> its said, 'There are a lot of “gotchas” around what VMDK disks work with
> OpenStack + vSphere,'.
> The appendix section lists one of the gotchas. Are there any more gotchas?
>
> During our testing, the vmdk instance on boot-up gives a 'Operating System
> not found' error,
> I am not sure whether this is a already known issue or not.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jason

Dan Wendlandt