[openstack-dev] OpenStack + PyPy: Status and goals

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 21:28:11 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Many of you have probably seen me send review requests in the last few weeks
about adding PyPy support to various OpenStack projects. A few people were
confused by these, so I wanted to fill everyone in on what I'm up to :)

First, for those who aren't familiar with what PyPy is: PyPy is an
implementation of the Python language which includes a high performance
tracing
just-in-time compiler and which is faster than CPython (the reference, and
most
widely deployed, implementation) on almost all workloads.

The current status is:

Two major projects work, both Marconi and Swift, Marconi is gating against
PyPy
already, Swift isn't yet since I needed to fix a few small PyPy bugs and
those
aren't in a release yet, expect it soon :)

In terms of results, I've observed 30% performance improvements on GET
workloads for Swift under PyPy vs. CPython (other workloads haven't been
benchmarked tet). I believe the Marconi folks have also observed some
performance wins, but I'll let them speak to that, I don't have the full
details.

Many python-clients projects are also working out of the box and gating:
including novaclient, swiftclient, marconiclient, ceilometerclient,
heatclient,
and ironicclient!

There's a few outstanding reviews to add PyPy gating for cinderclient,
troveclient, and glanceclient.

In terms of future direction:

I'm going to continue to work on getting more projects running and gating
against PyPy.

Right now I'm focusing a lot of my attention on improving Swift performance,
particularly under PyPy, but also under CPython.

I'm hoping some day PyPy will be the default way to deploy OpenStack!

If you're interested in getting your project running on PyPy, or looking at
performance under it, please let me know, I'm always interested in helping!

Thanks,
Alex

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084