[openstack-dev] welcoming new committers (was Re: When is it okay for submitters to say 'I don't want to add tests' ?)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Oct 31 18:49:18 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 07:05 AM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
[...]
> If we want to grow the committer base and help people to become
> better reviewers, taking the time to show them the ropes is part of
> the game.

hijacking the thread using Kyle's comment as an excuse.

It's not an 'if' but a 'since': since we are growing the committer base
at an incredible pace we should help them become also good reviewers as
rapidly possible.

One thing I already mentioned and I'll start doing this week in the
weekly Newsletter is to give a shoutout to those that do their first
review this week.

Another idea that Tom suggested is to use gerrit automation to send back
to first time committers something in addition to the normal 'your patch
is waiting for review' message. The message could be something like:

> thank you for your first contribution to OpenStack. Your patch will
> now be tested automatically by OpenStack testing frameworks and once
> the automatic tests pass, it will be reviewed by other friendly
> developers. They will give you comments and may require you to refine
> it.
>
> Nobody gets his patch approved at first try so don't be concerned
> when someone will require you to do more iterations.
>
> Patches usually take 3 to 7 days to be approved so be patient and be
> available on IRC to ask and answer questions about your work. The
> more you participate in the community the more rewarding it is for
> you. You may also notice that the more you get to know people and get
> to be known, the faster your patches will be reviewed and eventually
> approved. Get to know others and be known by doing code reviews:
> anybody can and should do it.

With links to the wiki for more details, of course. This sort of
messaging may help all the people that contribute tactically, those that
are asked by their manager to land a patch in here and are simply
lightly involved (not committed) in OpenStack. These are the ones that
may have an incorrect perception of how easy it is to have patches
landed in OpenStack as opposed to other large projects, like the kernel
or android and complain about our time to traverse the review system.

What do you think? How can we instruct gerrit to do this?

/stef

PS I put the text on
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/welcome-new-committers for refinements.