[openstack-dev] When is it okay for submitters to say 'I don't want to add tests' ?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Oct 31 17:22:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-31 09:05, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2013, at 8:56 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Mark McLoughlin's message of 2013-10-31 06:30:32 -0700:

>>> Nice breakdown.

>>> I totally agree with the sentiment but, especially when it's a
>>> newcomer
>>> to the project, I try to put myself in the shoes of the patch
>>> submitter
>>> and double-check whether what we're asking is reasonable.
>>>

>> Even with a long time contributor, empathy is an important part of
>> constructing reviews. We could make more robotic things that review
>> for
>> test coverage, but we haven't, because this is a gray area. The role
>> of
>> a reviewer isn't just get patches merged and stop defects. It is also
>> grow the other developers.
>>
>>> For example, if someone shows up to Nova with their first OpenStack
>>> contribution, it fixes something which is unquestionably a bug -
>>> think
>>> typo like "raise NotFund('foo')" - and testing this code patch
>>> requires
>>> more than adding a simple new scenario to existing tests ...
>>>

>> This goes back to my recent suggestion to help the person not with a
>> -1
>> or a +2, but with an additional patch that fixes it.
>>
>>> That, for me, is an example of "-1, we need a test! untested code is
>>> broken!" is really shooting the messenger, not valuing the newcomers
>>> contribution and risks turning that person off the project forever.
>>> Reviewers being overly aggressive about this where the project
>>> doesn't
>>> have full test coverage to begin with really makes us seem
>>> unwelcoming.
>>>
>>> In cases like that, I'd be of a mind to go "+2 Awesome! Thanks for
>>> catching this! It would be great to have a unit test for this, but
>>> it's
>>> clear the current code is broken so I'm fine with merging the fix
>>> without a test". You could say it's now the reviewers responsibility
>>> merge a test, but if that requirement then turns off reviewers even
>>> reviewing such a patch, then that doesn't help either.
>>>

>> I understand entirely why you choose this, and I think that is fine.
>> I,
>> however, see this as a massive opportunity to teach. That code was
>> only
>> broken because it was allowed it to be merged without tests. By
>> letting
>> that situation continue, we only fix it today. The next major
>> refactoring
>> has a high chance now of breaking that part of the code again.
>>
>> So, rather than +2, I suggest -1 with compassion. Engage with the
>> submitter. If you don't know them, take a look at how hard it would be
>> to write a test for the behavior and give pointers to the exact test
>> suite that would need to be changed, or suggest a new test suite and
>> point at a good example to copy.

> [...]

When in doubt, I tend to err on the side of "no score with comments".
It's not ideal for every situation, but I like to think it gets my point
across without making it sound like I disapprove of the change itself.
If my suggestions are ignored completely, I've always got the -1 in my
back pocket to press the issue. :-)

-Ben