[openstack-dev] [Heat] Locking and ZooKeeper - a space oddysey

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Oct 31 06:43:49 UTC 2013

Lock free solutions usually involve very predictable and very well understood (and typically provably correct) state machines. In openstack u have state machines but I think there is work to be done to increase there understandability and predictability.

Lock free algorithms are also extremely hard to get right (this is why the above state machine typically undergoes very thought out and extensive peer review). In openstack we all are that peer review :)

Hopefully this discussion here (and on irc and on code reviews) can help jump start more thinking around this whole area.

Sent from my really tiny device...