[openstack-dev] [Nova]Ideas of idempotentcy-client-token

Mitsuru Kanabuchi kanabuchi.mitsuru at po.ntts.co.jp
Wed Oct 30 07:15:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 10:32:18 +0000
Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Can you fill out the questions found in
> http://justwriteclick.com/2013/09/17/openstack-docimpact-flag-walk-through/

I guess, ClientToken(Idempotent) implementation is nice idea for API requester.

In my opinion, after POST requested, A requester have to stop processing when it cannot get response, because requester doesn't know what the resouce created actually.
In this case, retry is bad way, because it might cause create duplicate resources.

I think, ClientToken provide the solution.
If resource had been exist, It would skip resource creation by using ClientToken.
A requester can avoid create duplicate resources using ClientToken in retry.

I wish this blueprint would be implement. And I proposed related blueprint:

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/support-retry-with-idempotency

Regards