[openstack-dev] [nova] [neutron] PCI pass-through network support

yongli he yongli.he at intel.com
Tue Oct 29 05:42:00 UTC 2013

On 2013?10?27? 15:48, Irena Berezovsky wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thank you very much for sharing the information regarding your
> efforts. Can you please share your idea of the end to end flow? How do
> you suggest  to bind Nova and Neutron?
>
> The blueprints you registered make sense. On Nova side, there is a
> need to bind between requested virtual network and PCI
> device/interface to be allocated as vNIC.
>
> On the Neutron side, there is a need to  support networking
> configuration of the vNIC. Neutron should be able to identify the PCI
> device/macvtap interface in order to apply configuration. I think it
> makes sense to provide neutron integration via dedicated Modular Layer
> 2 Mechanism Driver to allow PCI pass-through vNIC support along with
> other networking technologies.
>
> During the Havana Release, we introduced Mellanox Neutron plugin that
> enables networking via SRIOV pass-through devices or macvtap interfaces.

Hi, Irena & Robert

I'm very intresting on your work Mellanox Neutron plugin, which enable
SRIOV devices or mactap interfaces. and could you provide more
infomation about it: bp/patches/current work flow/what is expect from
nova pci passthourgh.  and then, plus Robert's requements/discuss, i
know the more detail about what's expected from nova pci, what pci next
will to be.

in current stats i got:

a) fine classify of devices by auto discovery and request
     1) enable white list specify the address
     2) enable white list append group info like (IN/OUT/... anything)
     3) enable pci request can apppend  more infomation into the extra info
         i need input here, what is it? eventhough pci don't care the
extra info, but clear is better.
         i.e. Robet's
              . direct pci-passthrough/macvtap
               port profile

b) extra info awawness allocation ('feature pci' by Robert)
<https://launchpad.net/%7Ebaoli>

    1) had API and code level interface to access extra info
    2) Scheduler awawa ness about extra info/or device type so vNIC can
be differentiated.
    3) boot/interface-attach APIs:  API interface for convertneutron NIC
info to PCI request. :
from binding:capabilities binding:profile  to
            PCI alias(request)/
            direct pci-passthrough/macvtap  ( is it need store into pci
device extra info?)
            port profile( is it need store into pci device extra info?)
    4) scheduler enhancement to meet NIC requements

Yongli He at intel