[openstack-dev] [nova] [neutron] PCI pass-through network support

Robert Li (baoli) baoli at cisco.com
Fri Oct 25 20:15:56 UTC 2013

Hi Irena,

This is Robert Li from Cisco Systems. Recently, I was tasked to investigate such support for Cisco's systems that support VM-FEX, which is a SRIOV technology supporting 802-1Qbh. I was able to bring up nova instances with SRIOV interfaces, and establish networking in between the instances that employes the SRIOV interfaces. Certainly, this was accomplished with hacking and some manual intervention. Based on this experience and my study with the two existing nova pci-passthrough blueprints that have been implemented and committed into Havana (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/pci-passthrough-base and
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/pci-passthrough-libvirt),  I registered a couple of blueprints (one on Nova side, the other on the Neutron side):

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/pci-passthrough-sriov
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/pci-passthrough-sriov

in order to address SRIOV support in openstack.

Please take a look at them and see if they make sense, and let me know any comments and questions. We can also discuss this in the summit, I suppose.

I noticed that there is another thread on this topic, so copy those folks  from that thread as well.

thanks,
Robert