[openstack-dev] [nova][powervm] my notes from the meeting on powervm CI

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Fri Oct 11 01:26:14 UTC 2013

> 4. What is the max amount of time for us to report test results?  Dan
> didn't seem to think 48 hours would fly. :)

Honestly, I think that 12 hours during peak times is the upper limit of
what could be considered useful. If it's longer than that, many patches
could go into the tree without a vote, which defeats the point.

> 5. What are the minimum tests that need to run (excluding APIs that the
> powervm driver doesn't currently support)?
>         - smoke/gate/negative/whitebox/scenario/cli?  Right now we have
> 1152 tempest tests running, those are only within api/scenario/cli and
> we don't run everything.

I think that "a full run of tempest" should be required. That said, if
there are things that the driver legitimately doesn't support, it makes
sense to exclude those from the tempest run, otherwise it's not useful.

I think you should publish the tempest config (or config script, or
patch, or whatever) that you're using so that we can see what it means
in terms of the coverage you're providing.

> 6. Network service? We're running with openvswitch 1.10 today so we
> probably want to continue with that if possible.

Hmm, so that means neutron? AFAIK, not much of tempest runs with
Nova/Neutron.

I kinda think that since nova-network is our default right now (for
better or worse) that the run should include that mode, especially if
using neutron excludes a large portion of the tests.

I think you said you're actually running a bunch of tempest right now,
which conflicts with my understanding of neutron workiness. Can you clarify?

> 7. Cinder backend? We're running with the storwize driver but we do we
> do about the remote v7000?

Is there any reason not to just run with a local LVM setup like we do in
the real gate? I mean, additional coverage for the v7000 driver is
great, but if it breaks and causes you to not have any coverage at all,
that seems, like, bad to me :)

> Again, just getting some thoughts out there to help us figure out our
> goals for this, especially around 4 and 5.

Yeah, thanks for starting this discussion!

--Dan