[openstack-dev] [scheduler] APIs for Smart Resource Placement - Updated Instance Group Model and API extension model - WIP Draft

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at bull.net
Wed Oct 9 15:55:57 UTC 2013

Hi Yathi,

Thanks for having taken time explaining your vision.

Climate is about reservations, ie. preempting resources capacity and
granting a user he will actually get exclusive access to a certain set
of resources he asks for a certain period of time.
The resource placement decisions are the core of the added-value of
Climate, as historically we found that we need to do some efficiency on
it. In other words, we will need to implement a Climate scheduler for
picking up the right hosts best fitting the user requirements.

In other words, provided an user (or a service) hits the Climate Host
Reservation API asking for X hosts with these capabilities (and that
could/should include network bandwidth or host architecture), Climate
will create a host group (we call it "pcloud") on the lease creation
with no hosts in it, and after a certain period of time (based on
efficiency criterias - as of Climate v1 at lease start), Climate will
take user requirements, elect the hosts and put them in the pcloud.

That said, that's still a bit unclear to me but I would find two points
where your efforts and our efforts could be joined :
  1/ Climate could be seen as a broker for managing the states of the
Instance Group by offering a backend system for implementing the need of
a reservation system
  2/ Climate could also see the Smart Resource Placement holder as an
"scheduler" for helping to decide which hosts are the best opportunity
in terms of efficiency

What do you think about it ?
-Sylvain