[openstack-dev] [scheduler] APIs for Smart Resource Placement - Updated Instance Group Model and API extension model - WIP Draft

Yathiraj Udupi (yudupi) yudupi at cisco.com
Tue Oct 8 23:51:11 UTC 2013

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for your comments.  I can see that Climate is aiming to provide a reservation service for physical and now virtual resources also like you mention.

The Instance-group [a][b] effort   (proposed during the last summit,  and good progress has been made so far)  attempts to address the tenant facing API aspects in the bigger Smart Resource Placement puzzle [c].
The idea is to be able to represent an entire topology (a group of resources) that is requested by the tenant, that contains members or sub-groups , their connections,  their associated policies and other metadata.

The first part is to be able to persist this group, and use the group to create/schedule the resources together as a whole group, so that intelligent decisions can be made together considering all the requirements and constraints (policies).

In the ongoing discussions in the Nova scheduler sub-team, we do agree that we need additional support to achieve the creation of the group as a whole.   It will involve reservation too to achieve this.

Once the Instance group is registered and persisted,  we can trigger the creation/boot up of the instances, which will involve arriving at the resource placement decisions and then the actual creation.  So one of the idea is to provide clear apis such an external component (such as climate, heat, or some other module) can take the placement decision results and do the actual creation of resource.

As described in [c], we will also need the support of a global state repository to make all the resource states from across services available to smart placement decision engine.

As part of the plan for [c],  the first step is to tackle the representation and API for these InstanceGroups, and that is this ongoing effort within the Nova Scheduler sub-team.

Our idea to separate the phases of this grand scale scheduling of resources, and keep the interfaces clean.  If we have to interface with Climate for the final creation (I.e., once the smart placement decisions have been made), we should be able to do that, at least that is the vision.

References
[a]Instance Group Model and API extension doc -  https://docs.google.com/document/d/17OIiBoIavih-1y4zzK0oXyI66529f-7JTCVj-BcXURA/edit?usp=sharing<https://docs.google.com/document/d/17OIiBoIavih-1y4zzK0oXyI66529f-7JTCVj-BcXURA/edit?usp=sharing>
[b] Instance group blueprint - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/instance-group-api-extension
[c] Smart Resource Placement  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IiPI0sfaWb1bdYiMWzAAx0HYR6UqzOan_Utgml5W1HI/edit

Thanks,
Yathi.