[openstack-dev] [Climate] Questions and comments

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Sun Oct 6 06:36:17 UTC 2013

I looked at the blueprint (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/stacks-reservation) and
associated wiki page (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Reservation),
and I have a few comments/questions.

The wiki page has some remarks that are Nova-centric, and some other
remarks that emphasize that Climate is not just about Nova, and I do not
understand the relationship between these remarks.  Is this a roadmapping
thought (start with just Nova, expand to other services later), or the
inclusion of some details (related to Nova) and omission of other similar
details (related to the other services), or what?

Will Climate be an independent service, or part of Nova, or what?

What will be the atomic operations?  I presume the primary interesting
operation will be something like reserving a bag of resources, where that
bag is allowed to contain any mixture of resources from any services. Have
I got that right?

What exactly does reserving a resource mean?  Does this atomic reservation
operation include some atomic cooperation from the resources' services'
schedulers (e.g., Nova scheduler, Cinder scheduler, etc)?  Or is this
reservation service logically independent of the resources' primary
schedulers?  Overall I am getting the suggestion that reservation is an
independent service.  The flow is something like first reserve a bag of
resources, and then proceed to use them at your leisure.  But I also
suppose that the important thing about a reservation is that it includes
the result of scheduling (placement) --- the point of a reservation is
that it is holding capacity to host the reserved resources.  You do not
want an atomic operation to take a long time; do the scheduling decisions
get made (tentatively, of course) before the real atomic section, with
re-schedule and re-try on conflict detection, or is scheduling included in
the atomic section?

For how long does a reservation last?  What sort of thing owns a
reservation?  I suppose one important use case is that a heat engine, or
the heat service (in the multi-engine world), could own a reservation; in
this use case, the reservation would last until heat releases it.
Hopefully heat will persist its reservation information, so that a process
crash will not cause a dangling reservation; how will you enable complete
avoidance of timing splinters (e.g., heat engine crashes after making
reservation but before persisting information about it)?  Presumably other
things besides heat could own reservations.

Is this primarily about planning for the distant future, or focused on the
immediate future?  If a bag of resources (including their backing
capacities) is reserved for a period that starts more than a little while
in the future, what is done with that backing capacity in the meantime?

I see use cases for immediate future reservations; do you have use cases
for more distant reservations?

Thanks,
Mike