[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Summit session wrapup

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 09:54:26 UTC 2013

On 2013/27/11 16:37, James Slagle wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Jaromir Coufal <jcoufal at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> V0: basic slick installer - flexibility and control first
>> - enable user to auto-discover (or manual register) nodes
>> - let user decide, which node is going to be controller, which is going to
>> be compute or storage
>> - associate images with these nodes
>> - deploy
>>
> I think you've made some good points about the user experience helping drive the
> design of what Tuskar is targeting.  I think the conversation around
> how to design
> letting the user pick what to deploy where should continue.  I wonder
> though, would
> it be possible to not have that in a V0?
>
> Basically make your V0 above even smaller (eliminating the middle 2
> bullets), and just
> letting nova figure it out, the same as what happens now when we run
> "heat stack-create ...." from the CLI.
>
> I see 2 possible reasons for trying this:
> - Gets us to something people can try even sooner
> - It may turn out we want this option in the long run ... a "figure it
> out all out for me"
>    type of approach, so it wouldn't be wasted effort.
Hey James,

well as long as we end up with possibility to have control over it in
the Icehouse release , I am fine with that.
(The 'control' I tried to explain closer in response to Robert's e-mail).

As for the milestone approach:
I just think that more basic and traditional way for user is to do stuff
manually. And that's where I think we can start. That's user's point of
view.
 From implementation point of view, there is already some magic in
openstack, so it might be easier to start with that already existing
magic, add manual support then and then enhance the magic to much
smarter approach.

In the end, most of the audience will see the result in Icehouse
release, so if we start one way or another - whatever works. I just want
to make sure, that we are going to deliver usable solution.

-- Jarda