[openstack-dev] [trove][savanna] summit wrap-up: clustering

Sergey Lukjanov slukjanov at mirantis.com
Wed Nov 27 18:57:03 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

There was a thread around the Clustering API [0] and we decided to continue it on summit, so, I’d like to summarize things that was done before and at the summit on this topic.

First of all, thanks Michael Basnight (hub_cap) and all Trove folks for productive discussions on Design Summit in Hong Kong. During it we agreed that there is no intersection between projects’ roadmaps and scopes right now and we could collaborate to coordinate our efforts on some common parts not to duplicate each other, for example, by extracting some common code to libs if so or working together on some infra stuff. The main point is that our Clustering APIs are very different and both of them are really domain-specific. Due to the fact that we already have some and it’s working ok for our needs, we’re trying to share our knowledge to help Trove guys make better API.

In orchestration part both projects will use only Heat for resources orchestration and, so, some common code used for Heat templates generation could be extracted some day.

Trove already uses guest agents and we need agents for Savanna too, so, we’re thinking about unified extensionable guest agents that could be used by any projects, some discussions was already started [1][2].

One more common direction is that both Trove and Savanna need to make jobs that’ll build and publish guest images and I hope that we’ll collaborate on this topic to build common way for doing it [3].

Thanks.

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-September/thread.html#14958
[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/018276.html
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/UnifiedAgents