[openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related requirements & roadmap

Tim Schnell tim.schnell at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Nov 27 17:16:24 UTC 2013

On 11/27/13 10:09 AM, "Zane Bitter" <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

>On 26/11/13 22:24, Tim Schnell wrote:
>> Use Case #1
>> I see valid value in being able to group templates based on a type or
>
>+1, me too.
>
>> keyword. This would allow any client, Horizon or a Template Catalog
>> service, to better organize and handle display options for an end-user.
>
>I believe these are separate use cases and deserve to be elaborated as
>such. If one feature can help with both that's great, but we're putting
>the cart before the horse if we jump in and implement the feature
>without knowing why.
>
>Let's consider first a catalog of operator-provided templates as
>proposed (IIUC) by Keith. It seems clear to me in that instance the
>keywords are a property of the template's position in the catalog, and
>not of the template itself.
>
>Horizon is a slightly different story. Do we even allow people to upload
>a bunch of templates and store them in Horizon? If not then there
>doesn't seem much point in this feature for current Horizon users. (And
>if we do, which would surprise me greatly, then the proposed
>implementation doesn't seem that practical - would we want to retrieve
>and parse every template to get the keyword?)

Correct, at the moment, Horizon has no concept of a template catalog of
any kind.

Here is my use case for including this in the template for Horizon:
(I'm going to start moving these to the wiki that Steve Baker setup)

Let's assume that an end-user of Heat has spun up 20 stacks and has now
requested help from a Support Operator of heat. In this case, the end-user
did not have a solid naming convention for naming his stacks, they are all
named "tim1", "tim2", etcŠ And also his request to the Support Operator
was really vague, like "My Wordpress stack is broken."

The first thing that the Support Operator would do, would be to pull up
end-user's stacks in either Horizon or via the heat client cli. In both
cases, at the moment, he would then have to either stack-show on each
stack to look at the description of the stack or ask the end-user for a
stack-id/stack-name. This currently gets the job done but a better
experience would be for stack-list to already display some keywords about
each stack so the Support Operator would have to do less digging.

In this case the end-user only has one Wordpress stack so he would have
been annoyed if the Support Operator requested more information from him.
(Or maybe he has more than one wordpress stack, but only one currently in
CREATE_FAILED state).

As a team, we have already encountered this exact situation just doing
team testing so I imagine that others would find value in a consistent way
to determine at least a general purpose of a stack, from the stack-list
page. Putting the stack-description in the stack-list table would take up
too much room from a design standpoint.

Once keywords has been added to the template then part of the blueprint
would be to return it with the stack-list information.

>In the longer term, there seems to be a lot of demand for some sort of
>template catalog service, like Glance for templates. (I disagree with
>Clint that it should actually _be_ Glance the project as we know it, for
>the reasons Steve B mentioned earlier, but the concept is right.) And
>this brings us back to a very similar situation to the operator-provided
>template catalog (indeed, that use case would likely be subsumed by this
>one).
>
>> I believe that Ladislav initially proposed a solution that will work
>>here.
>> So I will second a proposal that we add a new top-level field to the HOT
>> specification called "keywords" that contains this template type.
>>
>> 	keywords: wordpress, mysql, etcŠ
>
>+1. If we decide that the template is the proper place for these tags
>then this is the perfect way to do it IMO (assuming that it's actually a
>list, not a comma-separated string). It's a standard format that we can
>document and any tool can recognise, the name "keywords" describes
>exactly what it does and there's no confusion with "tags" in Nova and EC2.
>
>> Use Case #2
>> The template author should also be able to explicitly define a help
>>string
>> that is distinct and separate from the description of an individual
>
>This is not a use case, it's a specification. There seems to be a lot of
>confusion about the difference, so let me sum it up:
>
>Why - Use Case
>What - Specification
>How - Design Document (i.e. Code)
>
>I know this all sounds very top-down, and believe me that's not my
>philosophy. But design is essentially a global optimisation problem - we
>need to see the whole picture to properly evaluate any given design (or,
>indeed, to find an alternate design), and you're only giving us one
>small piece near the very bottom.
>
>A use case is something that a user of Heat needs to do.
>
>An example of a use case would be: The user needs to see two types of
>information in Horizon that are styled differently/shown at different
>times/other (please specify) so that they can ______________________.
>
>I'm confident that a valid use case _does_ actually exist here, but you
>haven't described it yet.

Here is my use case for separating description and help text:

Description and help are separate things from a UI perspective. A
description might be displayed as a label in a form or in a paragraph
somewhere around the input. A help string is typically displayed as hover
text when focusing on the input or hovering/clicking on a question mark
icon next to the field. We could technically separate these things in the
code but because they serve separate purposes I would prefer to have them
be defined explicitly.

>> parameter. An example where this use case originated was with Nova
>> Keypairs. The description of a keypair parameter might be something
>>like,
>> "This is the name of a nova key pair that will be used to ssh to the
>> compute instance." A help string for this same parameter would be, "To
>> learn more about nova keypairs click on this help article."
>
>It's not at all clear to me that these are different pieces of
>information. They both describe the parameter and they're both there to
>help the user. It would be easier to figure out what the right thing
>would be if you gave an example of what you had in mind for how Horizon
>should display these. Even without that, though, it seems to me that the
>help is just adding more detail to the description.
>
>One idea I suggested in the review comments is to just interpret the
>first paragraph as the description and any subsequent paragraphs as the
>help. There is ample precedent for that kind of interpretation in things
>like Python docstrings and Git commit messages.
>
>> I propose adding an additional field to the parameter definition:
>>
>> 	Parameters:
>> 		<parameter name>:
>> ssh to the compute instance.
>> 			help: To learn more about nova key pairs click on this <a
>> href="/some/url/">help article</a>.
>
>(Side note: you're seriously going to let users stick HTML in the
>template and then have the dashboard display it?  Yikes.)

FWIW, I said the exact same thing to Keith Bray and his answer was, "why
not?"

The UI is already making determinations about what HTML to generate based
on the template. For example, the parameter label to display just
unslugifies the parameter key. This is a somewhat tangential discussion
though, and I do have reservations about it. Maybe Keith can jump in and
defend this better.

> [...]
>> 		db_name:
>> 			group: db
>> 			order: 0
>> 		db_username:
>> 			group: db
>> 			order: 1
>> 		db_password:
>> 			group: db
>> 			order: 2
>> 		web_node_name:
>> 			group: web_node
>> 			order: 0
>> 		keypair:
>> 			group: web_node
>> 			order: 1
>
>-2 this is horrible.
>
>Imagine how much work this is for the poor author! At least they don't
>have to maintain parallel hierarchies of matching key names like in the
>original proposal, but they still have to manually maintain multiple
>lists of orderings. What if you wanted to add another parameter at the
>beginning? Maybe we should encourage authors to number parameters with
>multiples of 10. Like BASIC programmers in the '80s.
>
>And of course if you don't specify the order explicitly then you get
>random order again. Sigh.
>
>There's only one way that this is even remotely maintainable for a
>template author, and that's if they group and order stuff manually
>anyway (like you have in your example - people will do this
>automatically by themselves even if the syntax doesn't require them to).
>Since they have to do this, just display the parameters in the UI in the
>same order that they are defined in the file. This does the Right Thing
>even if the author doesn't know about it, unlike the explicit order
>thing which completely breaks down if the order is not explicitly
>stated. You probably won't even have to document it because literally
>100% of people will either (a) not care, or (b) expect it to work that
>way anyway. In fact, you will almost certainly get bug reports if you
>don't display them in the same order as written.
>
>To prove that this is not difficult I even implemented the code for you:
>https://review.openstack.org/#/c/56703/7/doc/source/template_guide/hot_spe
>c.rst
>(in the comments).
>

>Grouping could be easily accomplished with a simple naming convention.
>e.g.
>
>   parameters:
>       db:name:
>       db:username:
>       db:password:
>       web_node:node_name:
>       web_node:keypair:
>
>I can write you the code for grouping these too:
>
>   groups = itertools.groupby(template['parameters'],
>                              lambda k: (k.split(':', 1)[:-1] or
>                                         [None])[0])
>
>This method is unambiguous (there's no way to e.g. put a parameter into
>multiple groups), gives a pretty passable result even on a front-end
>that doesn't support it and just sorts by name, is simple to document,
>requires no changes to Heat and is trivial to implement in the front-end.

You're right my initial proposal is terrible, Steve Baker suggested:

parameter-groups:
- name: db
  parameters: [db_name, db_username, db_password]
- name: web_node
  parameters: [web_node_name, keypair]
parameters:
  # as above, but without requiring any order or group attributes

Honestly, I can see it going either way and I do agree with your point
about forcing the parameters to only have one group by setting the group
in the parameter name. Also, if we agree that Heat should return the
parameters already grouped and ordered from the template_validate call
then the implementation in the template should be about what we think is
easier and more intuitive for the template author.

Thanks,
Tim