[openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related requirements & roadmap

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Wed Nov 27 09:19:33 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Tim Schnell's message on 27.11.2013 00:44:04:
> From: Tim Schnell <tim.schnell at RACKSPACE.COM>
> <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
> Date: 27.11.2013 00:47
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related
> requirements & roadmap

<snip>

> That is not the use case that I'm attempting to make, let me try again.
> For what it's worth I agree, that in this use case "I want a mechanism to
> tag particular versions of templates" your solution makes sense and will
> probably be necessary as the requirements for the template catalog start
> to become defined.
>
> What I am attempting to explain is actually much simpler than that. There
> are 2 times in a UI that I would be interested in the keywords of the
> template. When I am initially browsing the catalog to create a new stack,
> I expect the stacks to be searchable and/or organized by these keywords
> AND when I am viewing the stack-list page I should be able to sort my
> existing stacks by keywords.
>
> In this second case I am suggesting that the end-user, not the Template
> Catalog Moderator should have control over the keywords that are defined
> in his instantiated stack. So if he does a Stack Update, he is not
> committing a new version of the template back to a git repository, he is
> just updating the definition of the stack. If the user decides that the
> original template defined the keyword as "wordpress" and he wants to
> revise the keyword to "tims wordpress" then he can do that without the
> original template moderator knowing or caring about it.
>
> This could be useful to an end-user who's business is managing client
> stacks on one account maybe. So he could have "tims wordpress", "tims
> drupal", "angus wordpress", "angus drupal" the way that he updates the
> keywords after the stack has been instantiated is up to him. Then he can
> sort or search his stacks on his own custom keywords.

For me this all sounds like really user specific tagging, so something that
should really be done outside the template file itself in the template
catalog service. The use case seems about a role that organizes templates
(or later stacks) by some means, which is fine, but then everything is a
decision of the person organizing the templates, and not necessarily a
decision of the template author. So it would be cleaner to keep this
tagging outside the template IMO.