[openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related requirements & roadmap

Tim Schnell tim.schnell at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Nov 27 15:24:18 UTC 2013

Ok, I just re-read my example and that was a terrible example. I'll try
and create the user story first and hopefully answer Clint's and Thomas's
concerns.

If the only use case for adding keywords to the template is to help
organize the template catalog then I would agree the keywords would go
outside of heat. The second purpose for keywords is why I think they
belong in the template so I'll cover that.

Let's assume that an end-user of Heat has spun up 20 stacks and has now
requested help from a Support Operator of heat. In this case, the end-user
did not have a solid naming convention for naming his stacks, they are all
named "tim1", "tim2", etcŠ And also his request to the Support Operator
was really vague, like "My Wordpress stack is broken."

The first thing that the Support Operator would do, would be to pull up
end-user's stacks in either Horizon or via the heat client api. In both
cases, at the moment, he would then have to either stack-show on each
stack to look at the description of the stack or ask the end-user for a
stack-id/stack-name. This currently gets the job done but a better
experience would be for stack-list to already display some keywords about
each stack so the Support Operator would have to do less digging.

In this case the end-user only has one Wordpress stack so he would have
been annoyed if the Support Operator requested more information from him.
(Or maybe he has more than one wordpress stack, but only one currently in
CREATE_FAILED state).

As a team, we have already encountered this exact situation just doing
team testing so I imagine that others would find value in a consistent way
to determine at least a general purpose of a stack, from the stack-list
page. Putting the stack-description in the stack-list table would take up
too much room from a design standpoint.

Once keywords has been added to the template then part of the blueprint
would be to return it with the stack-list information.

The previous example I attempted to explain is really more of an edge
case, so let's ignore it for now.

Thanks,
Tim