[openstack-dev] [Tempest] Drop python 2.6 support

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 16:18:54 UTC 2013

On 11/25/2013 09:37 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On Monday, November 25, 2013 7:35:51 AM, Zhi Kun Liu wrote:
>> Does that mean Tempest could not run on python 2.6 in the future?
>
> Well so if you're running a single-node setup of OpenStack on a VM on
> top of RHEL 6 and running Tempest from there, yeah, this is an
> inconvenience, but it's a pretty simple fix, right?  I just run my
> OpenStack RHEL 6 VM and have an Ubuntu 12.04 or Fedora 19 or whatever
> distro-that-supports-py27 I want running Tempest against it.  Am I
> missing something?
>
> FWIW, trying to keep up with the changes in Tempest when you're running
> on python 2.6 is no fun, especially with how tests are skipped
> (skipException causes a test failure if you don't have a special
> environment variable set).  Plus you don't get parallel execution of the
> tests.
>
> So I agree with the approach even though it's going to hurt me in the
> short-term.

I'd second this, the benefits are worth it!

Plus, with RHEL you can use "software collections" (1) which allow you
to install multiple versions of say, python (including 27 and 33), using
yum (or scl) so you just have to launch tempest with something like:

$ scl enable python27 ./run_tests.sh

1. http://red.ht/1aRdx32
--
Giulio Fidente