[openstack-dev] [Tempest] Drop python 2.6 support

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Nov 25 20:37:17 UTC 2013

On Monday, November 25, 2013 7:35:51 AM, Zhi Kun Liu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw that Tempest will drop python 2.6 support in design summit
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-summit-qa-parallel.
>

>     Drop tempest python 2.6 support:Remove all nose hacks in the code
>

>     Delete nose, use unittest2 with testr/testtools and everything
>     *should* just work (tm)
>

> Does that mean Tempest could not run on python 2.6 in the future?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Zhi Kun Liu

Well so if you're running a single-node setup of OpenStack on a VM on
top of RHEL 6 and running Tempest from there, yeah, this is an
inconvenience, but it's a pretty simple fix, right?  I just run my
OpenStack RHEL 6 VM and have an Ubuntu 12.04 or Fedora 19 or whatever
distro-that-supports-py27 I want running Tempest against it.  Am I
missing something?

FWIW, trying to keep up with the changes in Tempest when you're running
on python 2.6 is no fun, especially with how tests are skipped
(skipException causes a test failure if you don't have a special
environment variable set).  Plus you don't get parallel execution of
the tests.

So I agree with the approach even though it's going to hurt me in the
short-term.

Matt Riedemann