[openstack-dev] tenant or project

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Sat Nov 23 17:09:12 UTC 2013

On 11/23/2013 08:28 AM, Tim Bell wrote:

> Horizon uses Project in the user interface, yet the openstack.rc file contains tenant_id and tenant_name. It makes it very difficult to write user guides given that such a fundamental concept has two names.

+1.  I struggled with this dual-nomenclature when writing up a security
note earlier this week.  I discussed it with Adam from the Keystone
project, and he said that they want the tenant term to go away and be
replaced by project.  This is even mentioned in their v3 API docs:

https://github.com/openstack/identity-api/blob/master/openstack-identity-api/v3/src/markdown/identity-api-v3.md#whats-new-in-version-30

> No problem to maintain compatibility (i.e. try OS_TENANT_NAME after OS_PROJECT_NAME) but the lack of convergence is not helping new user adoption.
>
> How about the technical committee makes a statement that by Icehouse we align all user facing definitions to Tenant or Project (while maintaining backwards compatibility on the environment variables) ?

I think that this is absolutely needed.

-NGK