[openstack-dev] tenant or project

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at nexenta.com
Sat Nov 23 20:27:35 UTC 2013

On November 23, 2013 4:09:49 AM Christopher Yeoh <cbkyeoh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So in the past we've used both tenant and project to refer to the same
> thing and I think its been a source of confusion for people new to
> OpenStack. In the Nova code we use both, but at least for the API we've
> been trying to consistently present to the client tenant (which is the
> majority usage) rather than project.
> And then Russell pointed out in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/57612/
> that the Keystone uses project in the Keystone V3 API rather than
> tenant. http://api.openstack.org/api-ref-identity.html#identity-v3
>
> I think that we should be consistent across the openstack projects.
> From a very quick look at the core openstack projects I think that they
> mostly use tenant at the moment rather than project.
>
> Does this change in Keystone nomenclature signify that we all should be
> moving to use project rather than tenant in the future (its not
> too late to do a big a search and replace for the Nova V3 API). And is
> the plan for Keystone python client to also change to project rather
> than tenant?

The advantage of "Tenant" over "project" is that it is far more intuitively
obvious
that resources and users belong to a single tenant than it is that they
belong to
a single project.

Companies that are the customers of data centers are likely to have many
"projects", and want their employees to have access to multiple projects.
I think we are better off with a label that creates a clear expectation of
one-bill-payer equals one-tenant.

All the data is far simpler with that rule.