[openstack-dev] tenant or project

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 12:09:49 UTC 2013

Hi,

So in the past we've used both tenant and project to refer to the same
thing and I think its been a source of confusion for people new to
OpenStack. In the Nova code we use both, but at least for the API we've
been trying to consistently present to the client tenant (which is the
majority usage) rather than project.

And then Russell pointed out in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/57612/
that the Keystone uses project in the Keystone V3 API rather than
tenant. http://api.openstack.org/api-ref-identity.html#identity-v3

I think that we should be consistent across the openstack projects.
From a very quick look at the core openstack projects I think that they
mostly use tenant at the moment rather than project.

Does this change in Keystone nomenclature signify that we all should be
moving to use project rather than tenant in the future (its not
too late to do a big a search and replace for the Nova V3 API). And is
the plan for Keystone python client to also change to project rather
than tenant?

Chris