[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] meaning of resource_id in a meter

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri Nov 22 17:46:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Gordon Chung <chungg at ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> > In all cases, these are free string fields. `user_id' and `project_id'
> > map to Keystone _most of the time_,
>
> i'm sort of torn between the two -- which is why i brought it up i guess.
> i like the flexibility of having resource as a free string field but the
> difference between resource and project/user fields is that we can query
> directly on Resources. when we get a Resource, we get a list of associated
> Meters and if we don't set resource_id in a consistent manner, i worry we
> may be losing some relational information between Meters that groupings
> based off consistent resource_id can provide.

The tuple (project id, source, resource id) is expected to be unique so
that those values combined with a specific meter provide useful information
about the resource. Beyond that unique constraint, I'm not sure we apply
any rules, although check the SQL schema to make sure the resource id field
isn't a short VARCHAR.

Doug