[openstack-dev] How to stage client major releases in Gerrit?

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 14:57:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
> > I don't understand why branches would be needed here *if* the breaking
> > changes don't impact any supported release of OpenStack.
>
> Right -- the trick is what does "supported" mean in that case.
>
> When the client libraries were first established as separate
> deliverables, they came up with a blanket statement that the latest
> version could always be used with *any* version of openstack you may
> have. The idea being, if some public cloud was still stuck in pre-diablo
> times, you could still use the same library to address both this public
> cloud and the one which was 2 weeks behind Havana HEAD.

I'm curious about the historical circumstance of this requirement -- were
the services supported "master, minus two releases" at the time?

We're not testing more than two stable releases against the latest clients
in CI today, so I find it odd that we still bother with this claim, without
demonstrating that it's true.

> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

-Dolph