[openstack-dev] How to stage client major releases in Gerrit?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 22 09:31:02 UTC 2013

Robert Collins wrote:
> I don't understand why branches would be needed here *if* the breaking
> changes don't impact any supported release of OpenStack.

Right -- the trick is what does "supported" mean in that case.

When the client libraries were first established as separate
deliverables, they came up with a blanket statement that the latest
version could always be used with *any* version of openstack you may
have. The idea being, if some public cloud was still stuck in pre-diablo
times, you could still use the same library to address both this public
cloud and the one which was 2 weeks behind Havana HEAD.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)