[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Easier way of trying TripleO

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 16:55:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On 20 November 2013 10:40, James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to propose an idea around a simplified and complimentary version of
>> devtest that makes it easier for someone to get started and try TripleO.
>
> I think its a grand idea (in fact it's been floated many times). For a
> while we ran our own jenkins with such downloadable images.
>
> Right now I think we need to continue the two primary arcs we have:
> CI/CD integration and a CD HA overcloud so that we are being tested,
> and then work on making the artifacts from those tests available.

Yes, understood.

There are people focused on CI/CD work currently, and I don't think this effort
would take away from that focus, other than the time it takes to do patch
reviews, but I don't think that should be a reason not to do it.

It'd be nice to have the images delivered as output from a well tested CD run,
but I'd like to not delay until we have that.  I think we could make this
available quicker than we could get to that point.

Plus, I think if we make this easier to try, we might get more community
participation.  Right now, I don't think we're attracting people who want to
try a test/development tripleo based deployment with devtest.  We're really
only attracting people who want to contribute and develop on tripleo.  Which,
may certainly be as designed at this point.  But I feel we have a lot of
positive momentum coming out of summit, so it makes sense to me to try and give
people something easier to try.

Given that, I think the next steps would be:
 - add a bit more detail in a blueprint and get some feedback on that
 - open up cards to track the work in the tripleo trello
 - start the work on it :).  If it's just me working on it, I'm fine with
   that.  I expect there may be 1 or 2 other folks that might work on it
   as well, but these aren't folks that are looking at the CI/CD stories right
   now.

Any opposition to that approach or other thoughts?

--
-- James Slagle