[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT software configuration refined after design summit discussions

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 21 13:51:26 UTC 2013

Thomas Spatzier <thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com> wrote on 11/21/2013 02:48:14
AM:
> Now thinking more about update scenarios (which we can leave for an
> iteration after the initial deployment is working),

I recommend thinking about UPDATE from the start.  We should have an
implementation in which CREATE and UPDATE share as much mechanism as is
reasonable, which requires thinking about UPDATE while designing CREATE.

> in my mental model it
> would be more consistent to have information for "handle_create",
> "handle_delete", "handle_update" kinds of events all defined in the
> SoftwareConfig resource.

+1 for putting these on the definition instead of the use; I also noted
this earlier.

-1 for having an update method.  The orientation to idempotent
forward-progress operations means that we need only one, which handles
both CREATE and UPDATE.

Regards,
Mike