[openstack-dev] [Openstack][qa][Tempest][Network] Test for external connectivity

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Thu Nov 21 12:59:16 UTC 2013

Forgive my ignorance, but I would like to make sure that packets generated
from Openstack instances on neutron private networks will actually be able
to reach public addresses.

In its default configuration the traffic from the OS instance is SNATed and
the SRC IP will be rewritten to an address in the neutron's public network
range (172.24.4.224/28 by default). If the OS instance is trying to reach a
public server like www.google.com, then, assuming ip_forward is enabled on
the devstack-gate VM,  the traffic should be forwarded via the default
route with a src IP of 172.24.4.224/28.

If the above is correct, will it be possible for the IP traffic to be
correctly routed back to the Openstack instance?

Regards,
Salvatore