[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] meaning of resource_id in a meter

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Nov 21 09:51:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20 2013, Gordon Chung wrote:

> came across a question when reviewing
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/56019... basically, in Samples, user_id
> and project_id attributes are pretty self-explanatory and map to Keystone
> concepts pretty well but what is the criteria for setting resource_id?
> maybe the ambiguity is that resource_id in a Sample is not the resource_id
> from Keystone... so what is it? is it just any UUID that is accessible
> from notification/response and if it is, is there a better (possibly more
> consistent) alternative?

In all cases, these are free string fields. `user_id' and `project_id'
map to Keystone _most of the time_, especially with samples emitted by
Ceilometer itself. That can be false as soon as you send samples from
external systems to Ceilometer.

I don't have the feeling we should legislate on what a `resource_id`.

--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker * independent consultant