[openstack-dev] What's Up Doc? Nov 20 2013

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Nov 21 07:53:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

> 5. Doc tools updates:
>
> David Cramer tells me he'll cut one more release of the clouddocs-tools
> maven plugin then it'll be put into Gerrit workflow in the OpenStack
> organization. Thanks to David and Zaro for the hard work here over many
> months. I'd encourage Stackers to see how they can get involved in
> collaborating on our doc build tool once it's in our OpenStack systems.
>
> Some reps from infra and myself will meet with O'Reilly technical folks on
> Monday to finalize the workflow for the operations-guide repository. Once we
> have it fleshed out I'll communicate it to the openstack-docs list.

One day in the infinite future when the gate is fixed
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/56158/ and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/57332/ will merge. This is something
Lana and I cooked up where the script which creates DocImpact bugs has
been tweaked to be able to add subscribers.

The basic idea is that you define a group of author email addresses
(your team at work perhaps), and then you can assign people to
subscribe to DocImpact bugs created by those people. This will allow
Lana to keep a better track of the DocImpact bugs her co-workers are
creating.

I'm hoping to trick other development teams into using this feature,
and embedding tech writers into their teams. Frankly, if developers
land features and they're never documented that significantly devalues
the feature. I'm hoping developers will see the value in having a tech
writer work closely with them to get their features documented. Also,
it will hopefully lead to more tech writers being hired by the various
development teams.

Lana and I will advertise this better once its landed and we've used
it long enough to ensure it works right.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia