[openstack-dev] Propose "project story wiki" idea

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Nov 21 07:09:11 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Boris Pavlovic's message of 2013-11-19 21:33:08 -0800:
> Hi stackers,
>

> Currently what I see is growing amount of interesting projects, that at
> least I would like to track. But reading all mailing lists, and reviewing
> all patches in all interesting projects to get high level understanding of
> what is happing in project now, is quite hard or even impossible task (at
> least for me). Especially after 2 weeks vacation =)
>

> The idea of this proposal is that every OpenStack project should have
> "story" wiki page. It means to publish every week one short message that
> contains most interesting updates for the last week, and high level road
> map for future week. So reading this for 10-15 minutes you can see what
> changed in project, and get better understanding of high level road map of
> the project.

I like the idea, but I don't like having _more_ wiki pages.

I think the weekly IRC meeting would be a good place for this to be
maintained.

We can have an agenda item "Updates". Before the meeting people can add
any and the chair can paste those in. Then any that people come up with
during the meeting can be stated by attendees.

<chair> #topic Updates
<chair> * Core reviewer added: foo-person, congratulations!
<SpamapS> * Completed py3k fixes for python-barclient

This way the updates are sent along with any other relevant discussions
from the meeting, and subscribers can still just follow pages they're
already used to following.

Meanwhile the Updates topic can be automatically extracted from the
meeting logs and highlighted in a special section of the main project
wiki page. Perhaps the same automation can maintain a page which includes
all of the other projects' updates for a one stop shop.

If people like this idea and want to try it out I'd be happy to throw
together a script to do the log extraction.

Anyway, less manual == more fun == more engagement.