[openstack-dev] What's Up Doc? Nov 20 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Nov 20 20:54:10 UTC 2013

1. In review and merged this past week:

Wow, I see about 30 fixes backported to the Havana install guides in the
last week, great work Andreas! I appreciate the focus on the install guides
since the Summit, thank you.

2. High priority doc work:
I'm very excited to have Lana offer to do a proposal for config-reference
and cloud admin guide information architecture. I think that the
restructure and added guides show great promise from the Havana release and
I hope Icehouse is a polishing release.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

We're going to hold a doc bug day by the end of the year, please choose
days that work well for you at http://doodle.com/vcycq4mknv6wdrnx. You can
also triage and fix bugs before a designated day, of course. There're still
quite a few install doc bugs, and some are duplicates. Do take a moment
even before the doc bug day to triage or confirm a few doc bugs.

We are moving forward with a large move of content during the Icehouse
release -- all <project>-api repos will be removed after the content finds
a new home under <project>/doc/source. The goal is to enable devs to write
API docs to help devs describe changes to the API. Then in the
openstack/api-site we will house all end-user API docs. Please help your
neighborhood doc patcher with reviews on those patches. Any questions about
this please do ask. You can also see the blueprint at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprint-os-api-docs. Diane is working on
a document to precisely describe "what goes where" for the API docs we all
know and love.
There are a lot of incoming questions for "where did neutron admin docs
go?" and references to the /trunk/ version of the Networking Admin Guide.
This week that version will be redirected and removed, please patch the
OpenStack Cloud Administrator Guide with networking information.

4. New incoming doc requests:

Our team would like to finalize on Project Doc Leads as described at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/ProjectDocLeads. If you
haven't already put yourself forward, please update this page with your
interest.

For some reason I had to "fix" the Lulu link for the OpenStack Security
Guide at http://docs.openstack.org/sec/ -- thanks to Bryan Payne for
reporting. It's all fixed up now.

5. Doc tools updates:

David Cramer tells me he'll cut one more release of the clouddocs-tools
maven plugin then it'll be put into Gerrit workflow in the OpenStack
organization. Thanks to David and Zaro for the hard work here over many
months. I'd encourage Stackers to see how they can get involved in
collaborating on our doc build tool once it's in our OpenStack systems.

 Some reps from infra and myself will meet with O'Reilly technical folks on
Monday to finalize the workflow for the operations-guide repository. Once
we have it fleshed out I'll communicate it to the openstack-docs list.

6. Other doc news:

I wrote up a post about "Who Wrote Havana Docs?" despite my aversion to
stats at
http://justwriteclick.com/2013/11/18/who-wrote-openstack-havana-docs/ which
definitely shows how far we have come. With some Project Doc Leads and
blueprints in place I'm certain we'll keep moving forward in Icehouse for
more doc contributors and doc improvements.

We're now holding meetings for both sides of the earth. Earth-dwellers,
please attend one of these Tuesday meetings as you prefer according to your
favorite sleep schedule.
1st Tuesday, 03:00:00 UTC
2nd Tuesday, 14:00:00 UTC
3rd Tuesday, 03:00:00 UTC