[openstack-dev] [Ironic] A question about getting IPMI data

Jarrod B Johnson jbjohnso at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 20 19:38:17 UTC 2013

pyghmi is growing SDR, SEL, FRU, and other stuff.

I can add in-band so long as there is always python in there, however
out-of-band does not need to be too bad.  In the case of a baremetal guest,
for example, gathering such data in-band would require more cooperation of
the tenant image, whereas out-of-band should always be workable in ipmi
equipped systems.

The biggest ding in out-of-band is that ipmitool is one-to-one and also has
to retrieve SDR every time it wants to go read sensors.  pyghmi will
support an evolution of xCAT's SDR caching scheme to avoid the hit (at
least if the sensors objects are reused).  We have had success completing a
complete sensor read of 4,000 systems with a single system in about 15
seconds out of band in xCAT, and pyghmi optimizes away some overhead that
xCAT did not (though that overhead isn't as significant for something as
verbose as sensor reading).