[openstack-dev] [Cinder][Glance] OSLO update

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Nov 20 19:12:07 UTC 2013

I don't recall the full discussion from before, but I know one of the
big problems with doing that is it actually makes it more difficult to
review these syncs. Instead of having 1000 lines of copied changes to
review, you have a one-line commit hash to look at and you then have to
try to figure out what changed since the previous hash, whether that's
one line or 1000.

I think there were some other issues too, but I don't remember what they
were so maybe someone else can chime in.

-Ben

On 2013-11-20 06:04, Roman Bogorodskiy wrote:

> I know it was brought up on the list a number of times, but...
>
> If we're talking about storing commit ids for each module and writing
> some shell scripts for that, isn't it a chance to reconsider using git submodules?
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Elena Ezhova <eezhova at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
> 20.11.2013, 06:18, "John Griffith" <john.griffith at solidfire.com>:
>
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2013-11-18 at 17:24 +0000, Duncan Thomas wrote:
>>> Random OSLO updates with no list of what changed, what got fixed etc
>>> are unlikely to get review attention - doing such a review is
>>> extremely difficult. I was -2ing them and asking for more info, but
>>> they keep popping up. I'm really not sure what the best way of
>>> updating from OSLO is, but this isn't it.
>> Best practice is to include a list of changes being synced, for example:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/54660 [1]
>>
>> Every so often, we throw around ideas for automating the generation of
>> this changes list - e.g. cinder would have the oslo-incubator commit ID
>> for each module stored in a file in git to tell us when it was last
>> synced.
>>
>> Mark.

> Been away on vacation so I'm afraid I'm a bit late on this... but;
>
> I think the point Duncan is bringing up here is that there are some
> VERY large and significant patches coming from OSLO pulls. The DB
> patch in particular being over 1K lines of code to a critical portion
> of the code is a bit unnerving to try and do a review on. I realize
> that there's a level of trust that goes with the work that's done in
> OSLO and synchronizing those changes across the projects, but I think
> a few key concerns here are:
>
> 1. Doing huge pulls from OSLO like the DB patch here are nearly
> impossible to thoroughly review and test. Over time we learn a lot
> about real usage scenarios and the database and tweak things as we go,
> so seeing a patch set like this show up is always a bit unnerving and
> frankly nobody is overly excited to review it.
>
> 2. Given a certain level of *trust* for the work that folks do on the
> OSLO side in submitting these patches and new additions, I think some
> of the responsibility on the review of the code falls on the OSLO
> team. That being said there is still the issue of how these changes
> will impact projects *other* than Nova which I think is sometimes
> neglected. There have been a number of OSLO synchs pushed to Cinder
> that fail gating jobs, some get fixed, some get abandoned, but in
> either case it shows that there wasn't any testing done with projects
> other than Nova (PLEASE note, I'm not referring to this particular
> round of patches or calling any patch set out, just stating a
> historical fact).
>
> 3. We need better documentation in commit messages explaining why the
> changes are necessary and what they do for us. I'm sorry but in my
> [...]

Links:
------
[1] https://review.openstack.org/54660