[openstack-dev] How to best make User Experience a priority in every project

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 15:37:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> How should we proceed to make sure UX (user experience) is properly
> taken into account into OpenStack development ? Historically it was hard
> for UX sessions (especially the ones that affect multiple projects, like
> CLI / API experience) to get session time at our design summits. This
> visibility issue prompted the recent request by UX-minded folks to make
> UX an official OpenStack program.
>
> However, as was apparent in the Technical Committee meeting discussion
> about it yesterday, most of us are not convinced that establishing and
> blessing a separate team is the most efficient way to give UX the
> attention it deserves. Ideally, UX-minded folks would get active
> *within* existing project teams rather than form some sort of
> counter-power as a separate team. In the same way we want scalability
> and security mindset to be present in every project, we want UX to be
> present in every project. It's more of an advocacy group than a
> "program" imho.
>
> So my recommendation would be to encourage UX folks to get involved
> within projects and during project-specific weekly meetings to
> efficiently drive better UX there, as a direct project contributor. If
> all the UX-minded folks need a forum to coordinate, I think [UX] ML
> threads and, maybe, a UX weekly meeting would be an interesting first step.

++

UX is an issue at nearly every layer. OpenStack has a huge variety of
interfaces, all of which deserve consistent, top tier UX attention and
community-wide HIG's-- CLIs, client libraries / language bindings, HTTP
APIs, web UIs, messaging and even pluggable driver interfaces. Each type of
interface generally caters to a different audience, each with slightly
different expectations.

> There would still be an issue with UX session space at the Design
> Summit... but that's a well known issue that affects more than just UX:
> the way our design summits were historically organized (around programs
> only) made it difficult to discuss cross-project and cross-program
> issues. To address that, the plan is to carve cross-project space into
> the next design summit, even if that means a little less topical
> sessions for everyone else.

I'd be happy to "contribute" a design session to focus on improving UX
across the community, and I would certainly attend!

> Thoughts ?
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

-Dolph