[openstack-dev] How to best make User Experience a priority in every project

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Wed Nov 20 15:45:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> How should we proceed to make sure UX (user experience) is properly
>> taken into account into OpenStack development ? Historically it was hard
>> for UX sessions (especially the ones that affect multiple projects, like
>> CLI / API experience) to get session time at our design summits. This
>> visibility issue prompted the recent request by UX-minded folks to make
>> UX an official OpenStack program.
>>
>> However, as was apparent in the Technical Committee meeting discussion
>> about it yesterday, most of us are not convinced that establishing and
>> blessing a separate team is the most efficient way to give UX the
>> attention it deserves. Ideally, UX-minded folks would get active
>> *within* existing project teams rather than form some sort of
>> counter-power as a separate team. In the same way we want scalability
>> and security mindset to be present in every project, we want UX to be
>> present in every project. It's more of an advocacy group than a
>> "program" imho.
>>
>> So my recommendation would be to encourage UX folks to get involved
>> within projects and during project-specific weekly meetings to
>> efficiently drive better UX there, as a direct project contributor. If
>> all the UX-minded folks need a forum to coordinate, I think [UX] ML
>> threads and, maybe, a UX weekly meeting would be an interesting first
>> step.
>>

> ++
>
> UX is an issue at nearly every layer. OpenStack has a huge variety of
> interfaces, all of which deserve consistent, top tier UX attention and
> community-wide HIG's-- CLIs, client libraries / language bindings, HTTP
> APIs, web UIs, messaging and even pluggable driver interfaces. Each type of
> interface generally caters to a different audience, each with slightly
> different expectations.

+1

I would add things like configuration file syntax and log file message
formats into the "UX" category. These are a fundamental interface for
operators who are setting up and debugging an initial OpenStack deployment.
Would love for these interfaces to be treated as first-class entities from
a UX perspective.

>> There would still be an issue with UX session space at the Design
>> Summit... but that's a well known issue that affects more than just UX:
>> the way our design summits were historically organized (around programs
>> only) made it difficult to discuss cross-project and cross-program
>> issues. To address that, the plan is to carve cross-project space into
>> the next design summit, even if that means a little less topical
>> sessions for everyone else.
>>

> I'd be happy to "contribute" a design session to focus on improving UX
> across the community, and I would certainly attend!

Me too.

Lorin

--
Lorin Hochstein