[openstack-dev] [Nova] When is a blueprint unnecessary?

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Wed Nov 20 10:37:48 UTC 2013

On 20 November 2013 10:21, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
>> One of the bits of feedback that came from the "Nova Project Structure
>> and Process" session at the design summit was that it would be nice to
>> skip having blueprints for smaller items.
>>
>> In an effort to capture this, I updated the blueprint review criteria
>> [1] with the following:
>>
>>   Some blueprints are closed as unnecessary. Blueprints are used for
>>   tracking significant development efforts. In general, small and/or
>>   straight forward cleanups do not need blueprints. A blueprint should
>>   be filed if:
>>
>>    - it impacts the release notes
>>    - it covers significant internal development or refactoring efforts
>> [...]
>
> While I agree we should not *require* blueprints for minor
> features/efforts, should we actively prevent people from filing them (or
> close them if they are filed ?)
>
> Personally (I know I'm odd) I like to have my work (usually small stuff)
> covered by a blueprint so that I can track and communicate its current
> completion status -- helps me keep track of where I am.
>
> So the question is... is there a cost associated with tolerating "small"
> blueprints ? Once they are set to "Low" priority they mostly disappear
> from release management tracking so it's not really a burden there.

Approving a small number of smaller blueprints seems OK to me. But
maybe a bug could be a lower cost alternative.

But too many blueprints is certainly its a happier place than not
having detailed enough blueprints for the code that needs them.

Maybe we should soften the language to describe when we don't
_require_ a blueprint.

John