[openstack-dev] [Nova] When is a blueprint unnecessary?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Nov 20 10:21:14 UTC 2013

Russell Bryant wrote:
> One of the bits of feedback that came from the "Nova Project Structure
> and Process" session at the design summit was that it would be nice to
> skip having blueprints for smaller items.
>
> In an effort to capture this, I updated the blueprint review criteria
> [1] with the following:
>
>   Some blueprints are closed as unnecessary. Blueprints are used for
>   tracking significant development efforts. In general, small and/or
>   straight forward cleanups do not need blueprints. A blueprint should
>   be filed if:
>
>    - it impacts the release notes
>    - it covers significant internal development or refactoring efforts
> [...]

While I agree we should not *require* blueprints for minor
features/efforts, should we actively prevent people from filing them (or
close them if they are filed ?)

Personally (I know I'm odd) I like to have my work (usually small stuff)
covered by a blueprint so that I can track and communicate its current
completion status -- helps me keep track of where I am.

So the question is... is there a cost associated with tolerating "small"
blueprints ? Once they are set to "Low" priority they mostly disappear
from release management tracking so it's not really a burden there.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)