[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Ironic] [TripleO] scheduling flow with Ironic?

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 19:00:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Alex Glikson <GLIKSON at il.ibm.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I understand the Nova scheduler part. One of the gaps there is
> related to the blueprint we have are working on [1]. I was wondering
> regarding the role of Ironic, and the exact interaction between the user,
> Nova and Ironic.

The interaction from the point of "nova boot" onwards will be the same --
nova maintains a list of available (host, node) resources, the scheduler
picks one according to the request, dispatches the work to n-cond / n-cpu,
which in turn calls down to various methods in the nova/virt/driver API.
The implementation of the ironic driver is a wrapper around
python-ironicclient library, which will make calls out to the ironic API
service, which in turn performs the necessary work.

Where the interaction is different is around the management of physical
machines; eg, enrolling them with Ironic, temporarily marking a machine as
unavailable while doing maintenance on it, and other sorts of things we
haven't actually written the code for yet.

> In particular, initially I thought that Ironic is going to have its own
> scheduler, resolving some of the issues and complexity within Nova (which
> could focus on VM management, maybe even getting rid of hosts versus nodes,
> etc).

I'm not sure how putting a scheduler in Ironic would solve this problem at
all.

Conversely, I don't think there's any need for the whole (host, node)
thing. Chris Behrens and I talked at the last summit about a possible
rewrite to nova-conductor that would remove the need for this distinction
entirely. I would love to see Nova just track node, and I think this can
work for typical hypervisors (kvm, xen, ...) as well.

> But it seems that Ironic aims to stay at the level of virt driver API.. It
> is a bit unclear to me what is the desired architecture going forward -
> e.g., if the idea is to standardize virt driver APIs but keep the
> scheduling centralized,

AFAIK, the nova.virt.driver API is the standard that all the virt drivers
are written to. Unless you're referring to libvirt's API, in which case, I
don't understand the question.

> maybe we should take the rest of virt drivers into separate projects as
> well, and extend Nova to schedule beyond just compute (if it is already
> doing so for virt + bare-metal).

Why would Nova need to schedule anything besides compute resources? In this
context, Ironic is merely providing a different type of compute resource,
and Nova is still scheduling compute workloads. That this hypervisor driver
has different scheduling characteristics (eg, flavor == node resource;
extra_specs:cpu_arch == node arch; and so on) than other hypervisor drivers
doesn't mean it's not still a compute resource.

> Alternatively, each of them could have its own scheduler (like the
> approach we took when splitting out cinder, for example) - and then someone
> on top (e.g., Heat) would need to do the cross-project logic. Taking
> different architectural approaches in different cases confuses me a bit.

Yes, well, Cinder is a different type of resource (block storage).

HTH,
-Deva