[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Ironic] [TripleO] scheduling flow with Ironic?

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Thu Nov 14 06:11:06 UTC 2013

Thanks, I understand the Nova scheduler part. One of the gaps there is
related to the blueprint we have are working on [1]. I was wondering
regarding the role of Ironic, and the exact interaction between the user,
Nova and Ironic.
In particular, initially I thought that Ironic is going to have its own
scheduler, resolving some of the issues and complexity within Nova (which
could focus on VM management, maybe even getting rid of hosts versus
nodes, etc). But it seems that Ironic aims to stay at the level of virt
driver API.. It is a bit unclear to me what is the desired architecture
going forward - e.g., if the idea is to standardize virt driver APIs but
keep the scheduling centralized, maybe we should take the rest of virt
drivers into separate projects as well, and extend Nova to schedule beyond
just compute (if it is already doing so for virt + bare-metal).
Alternatively, each of them could have its own scheduler (like the
approach we took when splitting out cinder, for example) - and then
someone on top (e.g., Heat) would need to do the cross-project logic.
Taking different architectural approaches in different cases confuses me a
bit.

Thanks,
Alex

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/multiple-scheduler-drivers